RE: NASCAR Technology

To: "'Bob Nogueira'" <nogera@prodigy.net>,
Subject: RE: NASCAR Technology
From: George Gerth <ggerth@west.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 14:50:14 -0800
On Monday, February 01, 1999 7:43 PM, Bob Nogueira
[SMTP:nogera@prodigy.net] wrote:
> -- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --
>
> Hey group , last night on NASCAR Garage ( on TNN) they showed some
> insulation the  NASCAR builders use to block the heat from the engine and
> exhaust. They said it was developed by NASA for the  Space Shuttle. It
looks
> like fantastic stuff . He held his hand on one side and a blow torch to
the
> other . They said it differed from regular insulation in that it conducts
> the heat away from the hot spot.  It was very thin (  less than a inch
thick
> ) and foil  like in appearance.
> Anyone got a NASCAR or Space Shuttle  builder for a neighbor?  I'd like
> get some more information on this stuff .
>
> Bob Nogueira

Bob,

I've seen two kinds of heat insulation, although I did not see this show.
 One is a heat "blanket" that is placed between the floorboard and
overlying mat or rug and replaces the OEM felt.  I remember that Moss
Motors had it in their catalog.  I intend to use it on my Aston when I get
closer to actually running the motor again.

The other is an asbestos-type tape that you use to wrap the exhaust header.
 I've seen it in Hot Rod catalogs like Summit Racing.

If you use either one of these, report their effectiveness to the list.
thx...

George Gerth
ggerth@west.net
1963 Morgan +4
1966 Aston Martin DB5
1970 Dodge Dart /6
1982 Ducati Desmo 900 "Hailwood Replica"
1980's Honda 125cc GP racer
1988 Dodge Shadow Turbo
1992 VW  Corrado VR6
"always have a spare ride..."