RE: 5 speed

To: Nelson & Linda Warner <nrwarner@snet.net>
Subject: RE: 5 speed
From: Gary Marquis <gmarquis@campuspo.CSUCHICO.EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 11:43:53 -0800
        I recently sold a TR3 that my son and I were restoring for him. =
The
prospective
      buyer was reluctant to consummate the deal because he could not =
see
the rebuilt
      motor run. Having the +4 sitting there I started it and told him =
he
could have the
      engine out of it, both being 58 TR engines. Deal made, and I have =
completely
      redone engine complete with big barrels, new pistons, nice cam =
and
balance job.
        Reason for story? I decided I would not install the new motor
without a 5 speed.
        The basic problem has to do with the location of the gearbox in =
the
drivetrain.
      After much searching I could not find a gearbox that had the two
requisites, 5 speeds
      and a shift lever that comes directly out of the top of the box. =
I now
have a Moss
      ( Jaguar ) box with a overdrive sitting in the car awaiting
completion. It's a lot of
      work but if successful should definitely be worth it. We live in
upstate California
      and everywhere we go is at least 100 miles away. Thanks to Fred =
Sisson
for
      guidance in this endeavor. ( I would still like to adapt some =
kind of
late model
      5 speed to this thing to get a better box and full syncro).
                  =20
                             gary marquis / fat basset garage
                                                   chico california usa
     PS those of you who have asked, the Fat Basset Garage is not a =
business
it's
          just where myself and my two bassets 'Bentley' and =
'Cooper'(aka
'shoprag')
          spend our best time. (the original fat basset was 'Morgan' =
who
died last year)