RE: +4 clutch

To: "'Jim Walters'" <bristol@coastnet.com>,
Subject: RE: +4 clutch
From: SOLOW GREG <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:54:04 -0700
Sorry Jim, but the pressure plate was either unique to Morgan, or Morgan =
was the most common application.   It is like a TR-3 pressure plate with =
a thrust plate for use with a Carbon  release bearing.  The Austin =
Healey 100-6 pressure plate was similar, but I believe had a sightly =
different spring pressure.  When we replace clutches on Morgan +4s, we =
ussually recomend coverting to a 8 1/2 inch diaphram clutch.  It =
requires less pedal effort, operates more smoothly, weighs less, and =
applies more pressure to the clutch disc. The flywheel must be redrilled =
for the pressure plate, or you can find a TR-4A flywheel which is =
already correctly drilled. =20
The redrilled flywheel should be rebalanced with the new pressure plate =
attached.
The release bearing must be very accuraty positioned by the hole bored =
in the bell housing.  This hole tends to wear in the verticle direction =
because of the force exerted upward by the release bearing sleeve =
operating pinon the bottom of the sleeve.  We have designed and built a =
jig in which we bore out the worn hole, shrink in a steel sleeve,and =
then bore and hone the sleeve to the proper size for the=20
release bearing.  After this operation, the release bearing is held in =
exact alignment=20
with the center of the thrust plate which is "crimped" onto the diaphram =
spring of the pressure plate.  If the release bearing is not in the =
exact center of the pressure plate, there is a tendency for the =
ossilating contact between the thrust plate and the off-center release =
bearing to cause the thrust plate to work loose from the pressure plate =
diaphram spring.  This often occures in cars that use diaphram pressure =
plates as original equipment when the mechanism that locates the release
bearing wears, allowing the bearing to shift away from its original =
"centered" postion. The release bearing sleeve also has to be modified =
to compensate for the difference in the hight between the diaphram and =
coil spring type pressure plates.=20
    Although this all may sound very involved, it is a very worthwhile =