Re: Sputter, cough

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Sputter, cough
From: Oddcarnut@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 18:36:49 EDT
Many thanks to all those who responded with ideas to fix the problem with
Bill's Plus 4.  If you missed the original thread, the symptoms were:

>  Bill Phillips' really nice 61 Plus 4, that
> lives across the street, is throwing a tantrum.  After driving a few miles
> it will start to stumble, sputter and almost dies.  Then it comes back to
life
> for a few moments and repeats the process.

Most replies pointed to the coil, which is what I was leaning towards.  Others
noted a bad condenser, clogged fuel pickup tube, and oil coming up the
distributor shaft.  Since Bill picked up a new coil, we went ahead and changed
it.  One block later we knew that wasn't the fix.  As BIll had already gone
thru tank draining, filters etc,. I decided to take the float chambers
apart....

Add another one to your lists.  As soon as I pulled the top on the rear carb,
I knew I had found the problem area, it had about half as much fuel as the
front float bowl.  The rear carb had a tiny blob of goo in the vent tube for
the float chamber.  Gentle air flow didn't move it but a sharp blast would.  I
cleaned it out & put things back together.  The goo was acting as a high flow
check valve.  Problem solved and it was apparent pulling out of the drive,
the engine had a slightly sharper bark.

Thanks again for all the suggestions

Cheers.

Ken Payne, 63 Plus 4