Re:Unleaded Conversion?

To: "Ben Hodgkiss" <benh@hwcces.demon.co.uk>, <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re:Unleaded Conversion?
From: "Graeme Sutherland" <graeme@pixelfusion.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:21:28 +0100
+ The car ran quite happily on 'Ersatz Blei' and 98 unleaded, but I am
+ wondering what to do in the long term.
+
+ (a) carry on as now

    I've heard that cars intended for leaded fuel can run reasonably well on
unleaded, provided that the mileage isn't too high. Valve seat recession is
only apparent after high mileages, so it might well be worth experimenting
with unleaded petrol, and / or fuel additives (does anyone know if these
work?), and see if any problems occur.

+ (b) have valve inserts put in the head

    This is probably the ideal option, and I've got a feeling that it isn't
too expensive. If the engine needs a rebuild any time in the near future,
you should get it done then. I wouldn't be surprised if unleaded conversions
to classics improve their resale value after 2,000.

+ (c) trade it in for a Volvo

    Don't do it!

        Graeme