Re: Help - hood alignment

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Help - hood alignment
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 10:23:27 -0400
At 09:48 PM 9/6/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Another question for the knowledgeable
>I have just finished re-installing the rad after having the rad
>re-cored.  To remove the rad I first removed the grill, shroud/surround,
>and hood.  Now that the rad is re-installed and all the pieces back in
>place I find that the hood is travelling slightly forward and fretting
>the paint on the shroud/surround.  My question is, "Why is this
>happening and what can I do to prevent the hood from moving forward?"

Toad,

  This is a very common problem with the Morgans.

I guess the 1st thing we have to understand is how the hood is held in
place in the 1st place.  If you look closely at the underside of the hood,
at the front, near the hing, you will see a little "L" reinforcement of
metal.  There is usually a similar piece in the rear.  These
reinforcements rub against the brass end caps for the hinge.  Therefore
the brass caps sort-of control the location of the hinge.

In your case it is possible that you reversed the 2 end caps (put the
front one in the rear and the rear one in the front).

  There are 2 possible fixes:

1.  You will have to loosen all the screws that hold the nose to the
    front fenders and vallance.  Then try to push the nose around until
    you get a nice fit.

2.  The other fix deals with the hood and or the end caps.  You need to
    identify how the hood needs to be set.  Each side can be adjusted
    independently.  Lets say for instance that the drivers sides is
    sitting too far forward.  Slide it to the rear for a nice fit.  Did
    it hit the rear hinge cap?

    If it is hitting the rear hinge cap, and is not fitting nicely, great!

    You will need to measure the distance from the end of the front end
    cap to the hinge reinforcement.  This much new brass will have to be
    added to the hing cap.  This can be done if several ways:

    a. purchase a new end cap, and cut off a section just longer than
       you need. Then try to either solder or brase the extension to the
       original end cap.

    b. simply build up the existing end cap by adding brass by brasing.

    Check the fit, and grind off the excess.

Above I asked if the rear of the hinge was hitting the back cap.  If not
you will have to add some brass to it also.

Check both sides of the hood so you can try to make the patch piece that
will work for both sides of the hood.

The other method is to extend the metal "L" on the hood.  But since most
of us have our hoods painted, the welding of an extension onto the hood
would result in having to repaint the hood.  Most of us don't want to
do that.

Hope this helps

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V