RE: Morgan Factory Visit

To: "'Morgans@Autox.Team.Net'" <Morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Morgan Factory Visit
From: Skip Tannen <Tannen@googolbox.babson.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 09:23:21 -0500
Jack,

I was over in October and was thrilled to be able to spend a good four
hours at the factory.  I toured England for a week and saw many
automotive sites, but the Morgan factory was the highlight of my trip.

Call ahead - maybe a day or two before you plan to arrive in Malvern.
Their phone number is 01684 573104.  The shops close down for lunch
between 12:30PM and 2:00PM, but you can schedule either a morning or
afternoon tour.  Here is the neat part: the "tour" is self-guided.  They
give you a map and a suggested route to follow through the different
shops, but you can come and go as you please for the entire time you are
there.  They just ask that you stay out of the paint and metal shops for
obvious (insurance-related) reasons.  And, if you are very nice to the
salespeople, you might even get a test ride in a brand new +8!

The factory is a very friendly and laid-back environment.  The shop
workers are very friendly, will talk to you, let you take pictures, and
don't mind you watching them work.  They obviously love what they do -
if I had half a mind to move to the UK, I would apply for a job there!
It was really fun to see all the shops dedicated to particular assembly
tasks as well as storage areas with crates of brand new Ford and Rover
engines, chrome wire wheels, etc, etc.  Had to keep track of the jaw as
I walked through the shops - it was constantly dragging the floor!

It was really a thrill to see the cars in various states of construction
and to see how a car moves from one shop to another.  There is also a
small building that is sort of their "museum" with pictures, racing
highlights, and 8 to 10 cars.  There was an early thirties trike and a
few other real gems.  There is also the Despatch area - here they have
new cars waiting to be delivered and hundreds of pictures of the cars,
owners, restoration jobs, etc.

I've had MG's and Austin Healey's for about 20 years, but now I want a
Morgan.

Skip Tannen
Manager, Network Engineering
Babson College