Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs

To: TrmpetDave@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs
From: Fred_H._Birkbeck@eol.ieaust.org.au (Fred H. Birkbeck)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 19:37:03 +1000
David,
I manufactured my own "magnetic" oil drain plugs.  The task was quite simple
and relatively inexpensive.
For each plug I modified, I purchased a "magnetic tip pick-up tool" (American
manufacture but I cannot recall the Manufacturer's name).  This tool can be
described as a handle with a flexible shaft about 10" long and at the end a
small circular magnet enclosed in a thin chrome metal case.  The size of the
magnet in its chrome metal case is about 5/16" diameter and 3/8" long.  The
magnet is extremely powerfulI.
I cut the magnet part off the flexible section, drilled a hole in the plug
(drilling into the brass plug at the threaded end).  I did not drill right
through the plug.  The hole diameter was a "finger tight" interference fit for
the circular magnet in its chrome metal case.
I then "loctited" the magnet & chrome case into the hole and finished off with
a few "punch" indentations around the periphery of the hole to ensure the
magnet could not "pop out".
Result:  A very strong magnet picking up all the metal pieces floating around
in the oil.
At oil-change time, I just wipe off the unwanted metal residue with a
throw-away rag.
Hope this asissts.
Best regards,  Fred Birkbeck - 1951 Plus 4 2 seater.