Re: LPG Power

To: kneisley@ohio.net, Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: LPG Power
From: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA)
Date: 16 Dec 96
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

Gary, we have a member of our local Morgan group who bought a LPG
powered +8 ( to go with his 4/4 and half dozen other LBCs) . After the
clubs first couple of tours he was swearing about the inconvenience of
LPG, so he bought a gas tank and everything needed to convert it back to
gasoline. Well in the time it took to round up all the gasoline stuff he
got accustom to the LPG routine and all the gasoline stuff is still
sitting in the boxes,  Here in Texas LPG is pretty common but not
available, as in some states, at regular gas stations.. You have to get
out the LPG suppliers guide and compute all your refueling stops. They
are usually off the main path and have standard business hours.
I do know that the LPG 4/4 is not as big a problem since it gets 250 to
300 mile to a fill up compared to the 200 or less of the +8.

While the mileage is less the price of the fuel is very cheap compared
to gasoline ( .65 to .70 for the equivalent of a gallon of gas) . In
Texas you have to buy a annual road use tax sticker to have it put in a
car since they do not tax LPG  for road use .

Everything I've ever read says that it is much better a fuel than
gasoline since  it has a 100 + octane rating and does not wash down the
cylinders or build up carbon. It burns so clean that they use it in
forklifts which operate in  closed warehouses.  The EPA exempts it from
testing because it is so clean burning.   (Clean  being defined by the
EPA)

 Bob Nogueira
Disclaimer:  While I may sometimes have gas, I have  no interest,
financial or otherwise in LPG.

------- REPLY, Original message follows --------

> Date: Sunday, 15-Dec-96 02:54 PM
>
> From: Gary L. Kneisley         \ Internet:    (kneisley@ohio.net)
> To:   aMORGANS@autox.team.net  \ Internet:    (morgans@autox.team.net)
>
> Subject: LPG Power
>
> In my search for a recent model Morgan I have seen a few LPG powered +
8's, and
> wondered about the plus's and minus's of the alternative fuel.  I
understand
> they burn cleaner and therefore are more apt to pass the emissions
tests, and
> they produce slightly less power.
>
> Do they need any special attention than a normal gasoline powered car?
Is