Re: Tube shock conversion

To: "Adamson, John G" <adamsojg@jmu.edu>
Subject: Re: Tube shock conversion
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 18:13:11 +0000
"Adamson, John G" <adamsojg@jmu.edu> writes
>Hi All,
>       I have written on several occasions, but this time
>I'm looking for some advice.  I have just finished a ground
>up on a '62 4\4.  It has about 140-hp under the hood and I
>plan to use it on the road and on the track.  No Morgan
>will ever ride but so well, but will this conversion help?
>Comfort is my main motivation, but the traditional shocks
>like to come loose and rattle.  What are the pros and cons
>of this conversion?  Money?  Can I make the mounting
>brackets at home?  Thank you for your time!

Various people make a tubular damper conversion including the factory
and several agents.

The best one for my money, (and the one I bought!), is designed and made
by Rutherford Engineering here in the UK, although Melvyn Rutter sells
one that looks very similar for GBP176.50 plus VAT(17.5%). (line drawing
in his sixth edition catalogue).

As far as I am concerned, the conversion has made the car ride a little
better, but as I have a 2 str with 4 str rear springs, you only really
notice when the car is well laden. So far as maintenance is concerned, I
do 10,000 miles a year and although I have checked everything for
tightness, nothing has come loose in two years.

I haven't found a down side- although I guess a purist will object.
--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4 2 str