Brake line/steering box mounting

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake line/steering box mounting
From: pdburket@intrepid.net (David & Pat)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 23:20:44 -0500
Hello Morganeers,

I once again come to you with hat in hand asking for advice.  Some of you
may recall that I am doing my very first restoration ever, and not being
very mechanical,  there usually are  question that most folks would
consider rather simple.

Today's problem involves making correct bends in the brake lines from the
rear wheel cylinders.   There is a tight bend from the wheel cylinder,
then up and over  the dip of the chassis and finally joining the T-union
that attaches to the rear axle.  I have experimented with trying to bend
old brake lines using both a tubing bender and  a tightly wrapped coil
length also designed to do this job, but without any success.

One option I haven't tried, due mainly to the expense of making a mistake,
is slipping a tightly wound stainless steel coil wrap that is designed to
be used as a permanent brake line wrap serving the dual function of  brake
line protector and cosmetic enhancer. I  already have this expensuve stuff
so I feel I must use it..

Has anyone out there ever used this wound stainless steel brake line wrap,
and if so, can it be used as some kind of a jig for bending brake line?

While writing the above question, I thought of another technical tidbit
that I am uncertain about.  I decided to upgrade my steering box by
installing a Gemmer unit.   Before installing  the steering box into the
steering bracket, I smeared Never Stick on the spindle of the steering box
thinking this would keep the steering box from seizing in the bracket like
my old box had seized.  After attaching the Pittman arm to the drag link, I
found that each time I turned the steering shaft so the wheels would turn
to the right,  I couldn't stop the entire steering box from pivoting.
Admittedly I haven't tightened the pinch bolt tightly, but pressing against
the steering column with my weight, I still could not  stop the  steering
box from rotating.  Should I remove the Never Stick coating, or will the
pivoting condition stop once the entire steering column has been routed
through the permanently mounted bulkhead and Body tub.

I shall be happy to learn of what you think about either problem.

Morgan dittos,
David