Re: RE-Air Cleaner?

To: sgilbert <sgilbert@macserv1.wpusd.k12.ca.us>
Subject: Re: RE-Air Cleaner?
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 21:55:46 +0100
In message <199606110816.008EF9FE@macserv1.wpusd.k12.ca.us>, sgilbert
<sgilbert@macserv1.wpusd.k12.ca.us> writes
>Hi.
>
>I am new to net AND have a "new" 67 4/4 with crossflow eng. and webber
>downdraft carb... with no air cleaner.
>
>Have any of you had any luck fitting one?  Should I worry about it???
>
>Also... where is best place for parts?   I have Ruters Catalog.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steve Gilbert

I am told that a lot of early 4/4 1600s, (crossflows) either had
nothing, a "brickstopper", (a metal plate on legs to stop you dropping a
screwdriver down the carb throat), or a Brown & Geeson pancake filter.
Later ones had an elaborate arrangement with an alloy collector and
trunking to a large cylindical filter case. The book, "Original Morgan"
by John Worrall and Liz Turner, Bay View Books, ISBN 1-870979-29-X, has
some illustrations of the elaborate version, which I have only seen once
in practise. Most cars I have seen have a pancake filter, oiled mesh
between two "tin lids".

This is one place where I say to hell with originality, my car has a
modern high performance foam washable filter which came from a racing
parts shop. Mesh type pancake filters are a waste of time, Rootes
competition department used to call them an instant rebuild kit, as they
won't stop the dust that does the engine damage. A K&N filter would be
next favorite, but I understand that their legality varies from state
state.
--
Jeremy Edwards