Re: Clutch Problem

To: Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch Problem
From: "Steve Manwell" <Steve_Manwell@WE-KNOW-ENERGY.XENERGY.COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 96 10:40:40 EST
     One of the problem areas of the +4 clutch is the sliding sleeve that
     pushes the release "bearing" (carbon actually) against the clutch
     pressure plate.  Wear between the sleeve and the magnesium bellhousing
     eventually enlarges the hole in the bellhousing so that there is too
     much clearance between sleeve and bellhousing.

     The clutch pedal linkage pushes the sliding sleeve via a pin sticking
     down through a slot in the bellhousing.  This slot also gets worn
     larger by the pin.

     I suppose either of the above problems could be worse after the grease
     around the sleeve warms up.  I don't know if these problems alone
     would cause the problem you describe, but they would make it more
     difficult to control the clutch smoothly.  If nothing else, check for
     these problems if you find yourself replacing the clutch.  (You can
     check the slot under the car without taking out the clutch, etc.)

     --Steve

Subject: Clutch Problem