mini-baja

RE: Ball joint question, leading to revision of rule 37.4.2

To: "Jessica Cutler" <cutler@sae.org>, <mini-baja@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ball joint question, leading to revision of rule 37.4.2
From: "Perrin, James \(J.M.\)" <jperrin3@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 08:54:53 -0500
Does this also mean that studed rod ends will not require safety washers?

James

 Question:  What ball joints are acceptable under rule 37.4.2?
Answer:   After an extensive review by the National Technical Inspectors we
have concluded that Rule 37.4.2, governing ball joints, is confusing.
Effective immediately the Rule is revised to allow the use of any ball joints
or rod ends with studs that have been commercial manufactured.

The Revised Rule is:
37.4.2 Ball Joints
Any commercially manufactured ball joints or rod ends with studs are allowed.
Student manufactured ball joints or rod ends with studs are specifically
prohibited.

Thank you and I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Jessica L. Cutler
Collegiate Programs Coordinator
SAE International
400 Commonwealth Dr.