mini-baja

Re: Bend radius

To: "Jon Hastie" <jhastie@coe.neu.edu>, <mini-baja@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bend radius
From: "Eric Hutchenreuther" <emhutchenreuther@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 20:48:23 -0400
You bring up a very interesting point.
It is difficult to obtain dies to bend tubing to the larger radius.
Secondly this is a complete reversal of the rules from 2004 which state the
centerline bend radius must be less than 5".

The change defies logic as well as creating a roll cage that is not as
structurally sound. I recommend posting a question to the rules committee
and seeing what they have to say. It could be just a typo, or it could be
next year's throttle cable. The link is
http://www.sae.org/students/minibajatqa.htm

It seems they are now concerned about putting kinks in the tubing by bending
it too sharply, but since there are many different tube diameters, wall
thickness's, materials and benders out there, the rules should simply state
that the tubing should not show any signs of buckling. Because of the nature
of plastic deformation, other than the stress riser effect, a tight bend is
no weaker than a large one unless the bend is so tight that buckling or a
drastic change in profile occurs.

A tight radius is more of a stress riser, but since we are building a truss,
it is best to keep the members as straight as possible so that they can
transfer the load between nodes without bending. By increasing the bend
radius each member is further from a straight line between nodes. It is now
subject to more bending stress during impact, which can lead to deformation
of the roll cage, and more stress applied to the welds at the diagonal
bracing. A tube will rarely break by itself, it is much more likely that it
will bend or the weld holding it will fracture. Many student done welds are
subject to cracking and may have questionable penetration, so the last thing
you want to do add stress to them.

Eric Hutchenreuther
Kettering University