mini-baja

Chromoly Tubing

To: mini-baja@autox.team.net
Subject: Chromoly Tubing
From: Adam Enge <amest28+@pitt.edu>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 02:39:43 -0500
Hi guys, I am trying to get a baja program going again at my school,
University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown.  We were thinking of using 4130 steel
for better strength, and I was told that you can keep the weight down by
increasing the outter diameter and decreasing the wall thickness.  However, I
made some calculations and a 1.5" outter diameter 4130 tube, wall thickness of
.059" is still a little heavier than 1" outter 1020, wall thickness of .083.
Should we be using even thinner wall thickness, or are we going to just have
to sacrafice a little weight for the added strength?