mini-baja

Re: Did you use a differential last year?

To: "Chris R. Koetje" <KOETJECR@student.gvsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Did you use a differential last year?
From: susantoa@pdx.edu
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:40:02 -0700
Assuming you are using an open differential, the disadvantage is when it's
really slippery and/or one tire is slipping.  With an open differential,
unless the left and right tire has the same/similar traction, it'll send only
enough power to turn the one slipping => no torque to the tire with traction

Advantage would be in cornering, the one side of the tire will "coast" while
the other is powered instead of both tires powered, resulting in understeer.

If you can get a locking differential, it'll be the best of both worlds.

We've always used a straight axle, no differential.  We make the car turn and
corner much better by making the rear track width narrower by at least 2
inches than the front, slight toe in for the rear tires and the use of sway
bars.