mgs

Re: [Mgs] clutch woes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] clutch woes
From: Paul Hunt <paulbhunt73@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 09:50:08 +0000

--------------tJWLIZrQRBDdwh6yZ00g0fYj

Car model not given, but other than MGBs not having banjos at the slave
much the same as Barney.  The MGB is also difficult to bleed, many
techniques have been found to work from car to car, one of the simplest
being to wedge the pedal fully down overnight then let it up slowly next
morning.  That should give air bubbles time to gather near the top of
the metal pipe, which are flushed back into the reservoir as the pedal
is released.  You don't say whether fluid is being lost or not, or
whether the loss of clutch action is gradual i.e. as indicated by the
biting point getting lower and lower (test it daily at least), or is
sudden.  Gradual loss when the car is being used can be from air being
drawn past seals, or from leaks, which in the MGB can run down the pedal
and be lost in the carpet as well as be external.  Any fluid in the dust
cover?

PaulH

On 25/11/2023 17:02, dave northrup wrote:

> Really having trouble getting my clutch to work and stay working.
> several times Iâ??ve gotten it to work, only to find in a few days that
> it no longer works.
>
> as a result I have never actually driven the car (it came in kit form).
>
> Iâ??ve replaced the master, slave, and hose, all from Scarborough Faire
> this time.  Thinking I need to maybe replace the metal tubing as
> well.  which brings me to my question.  As opposed to the brake
> connection, the slave has a banjo fitting, etc., which seems almost
> Rube Goldberg.  Is there any reason when I have the new tubing made
> not to just skip all that and do it like the brake side?  Being
> correct is not a factor; having it work is!

--------------tJWLIZrQRBDdwh6yZ00g0fYj

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
  </head>
      slave much the same as Barney.  The MGB is also difficult to
      bleed, many techniques have been found to work from car to car,
      one of the simplest being to wedge the pedal fully down overnight
      then let it up slowly next morning.  That should give air bubbles
      time to gather near the top of the metal pipe, which are flushed
      back into the reservoir as the pedal is released.  You don't say
      whether fluid is being lost or not, or whether the loss of clutch
      action is gradual i.e. as indicated by the biting point getting
      lower and lower (test it daily at least), or is sudden.  Gradual
      loss when the car is being used can be from air being drawn past
      seals, or from leaks, which in the MGB can run down the pedal and
      be lost in the carpet as well as be external.  Any fluid in the
      dust cover?</p>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:35580d3fac32436abb49b71cd18c964b@ranteer.com">
        content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0in;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-ligatures:standardcontextual;}span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
          work and stay working.  several times Iâ??ve gotten it to work,
          only to find in a few days that it no longer works.
          <o:p></o:p></p>
          the car (it came in kit form).<o:p></o:p></p>
          all from Scarborough Faire this time.  Thinking I need to
          maybe replace the metal tubing as well.  which brings me to my
          question.  As opposed to the brake connection, the slave has a
          banjo fitting, etc., which seems almost Rube Goldberg.  Is
          there any reason when I have the new tubing made not to just
          skip all that and do it like the brake side?  Being correct is
          not a factor; having it work is!<o:p></o:p></p>

--------------tJWLIZrQRBDdwh6yZ00g0fYj--

--===============8044796473022381564==