mgs

Re: [Mgs] MGB steering rack

To: "S. Carr" <britfan1@epix.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB steering rack
From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2019 15:43:26 +0100 5hEEr8E7T8nXu1VSdq7hlG4zMKW5B3RgM/EWuCU7YM99+pu7Q4BicjXpaRzaawJ1sA5CjEz7KiqYVQ==

--===============1141953167795779775==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0056_01D50034.9DEF6930"

------=_NextPart_000_0056_01D50034.9DEF6930
        charset="utf-8"

The oiling nipple was only on early racks.  Some remove the pinion cover =
and damper piston and pour it in there.  Personally I've removed the tie =
or clamp from the large end of one of the gaiters, gripped that from =
underneath between thumb and forefinger to stop oil leaking out the =
bottom, then injected oil in the top between gaiter and housing.  =
However it then dripped for several weeks from the pinion seal, so I =
probably needn't have bothered.  On a gaiter change on both cars the =
innards have been wet with oil, so plenty of lubrication I suspect.  =
Modern replacements tend to be grease-filled these days.

If someone has tried to compensate for a worn rack by adjusting the =
shims, it's possible to exchange sloppiness in the straight-ahead =
position for stiffness at the extremities.  If you slacken the pinion =
cover bolts slightly and the rack gets looser at the extremities then =
that's probably what has happened.

You can always disconnect the drivers-side gaiter from the rack housing =
and inspect the rack and pinion at each lock fairly well.

PaulH.

  ----- Original Message -----=20

  While doing pre-season routine maintenance on my =E2=80=9871 B/GT =
recently, my mechanic & I decided it would be wise to make sure the =
steering rack had plenty of oil.  The factory service manual has =
instructions and a diagram for filling via a nipple on the housing =
=E2=80=93 but we can=E2=80=99t find any such fitting (or even a plug), =
after cleaning off years of dirt.  No oil is presently leaking out of =
the boots, but it=E2=80=99s possible that it all leaked out many years =
ago, before we bought the car.  (The steering is a bit sticky when =
returning from full lock.)
------=_NextPart_000_0056_01D50034.9DEF6930
        charset="utf-8"

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The oiling nipple was only on early racks.&nbsp; =
Some remove=20
the pinion cover and damper piston and pour it in there.&nbsp; =
Personally I've=20
removed the tie or clamp from the large end of one of the gaiters, =
gripped that=20
from underneath between thumb and forefinger to stop oil leaking out the =
bottom,=20
then injected oil in the top between gaiter and housing.&nbsp; However =
it then=20
dripped for several weeks from the pinion seal, so I probably needn't =
have=20
bothered.&nbsp; On a gaiter change on both cars the innards have been =
wet with=20
oil, so plenty of lubrication I suspect.&nbsp; Modern replacements tend =
to be=20
grease-filled these days.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If someone has tried to compensate for a worn rack =
by=20
adjusting the shims, it's possible to exchange sloppiness in the =
straight-ahead=20
position for stiffness at the extremities.&nbsp; If you slacken the =
pinion cover=20
bolts slightly and the rack gets looser at the&nbsp;extremities then =
that's=20
probably what has happened.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>You can always&nbsp;disconnect the drivers-side=20
gaiter&nbsp;from the rack housing and inspect the rack and pinion =
at&nbsp;each=20
lock fairly well.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><BR></DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: =
12pt">
  <DIV>While doing pre-season routine maintenance on my =E2=80=9871 B/GT =
recently, my=20
  mechanic &amp; I decided it would be wise to make sure the steering =
rack had=20
  plenty of oil.&nbsp; The factory service manual has instructions and a =
diagram=20
  for filling via a nipple on the housing =E2=80=93 but we can=E2=80=99t =
find any such fitting=20
  (or even a plug), after cleaning off years of dirt.&nbsp; No oil is =
presently=20
  leaking out of the boots, but it=E2=80=99s possible that it all leaked =
out many years=20
  ago, before we bought the car.&nbsp; (The steering is a bit sticky =
when=20
  returning from full =
lock.)</DIV></DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>