mgs

[Mgs] Actually worked on the B

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Actually worked on the B
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:53:40 -0700
Or tinkered, is more like it.

I rejiggered (technical term) the ad hoc front muffler hanger, figuring out
how to get some rubber into it to keep it from vibrating loose. This is a
hanger right at the front of the front muffler, needed because the welds
cracked on the muffler nipple, letting the muffler body rotate and sag. Yes,
I could have it welded up, but that would require taking it to a shop, and
actually spending money. The solution consists of a perforated metal strap
wrapped around the pipe, screwed to a small L-bracket flattened to a shallow
V, attached to an existing hole in the frame via a wall anchor, insulated
with a rubber sway bar end link bushing and flat washer.

Then I tried to fit a speedo cable right-angle drive to the tranny, to see
if that would let me run the cable in such a way that it wouldn't bind up
and maybe the needle would remain somewhat stable. But there was no way it
was going to fit -- there wasn't enough clearance to the tunnel wall. Not to
mention it's almost impossible to get enough fingers in there to thread the
fitting if there was room. The right-angle drive is off the old 3-syncro
tranny -- I was trying to fit it to the 4-syncro OD tranny. But no go. If
the whole tranny was out of the way, perhaps a well-placed sledgehammer blow
would solve the problem, but maybe not -- it's more or less directly above
the permanent crossmember, therefore a tough reach in any circumstances.

Then I went back to the distributor and finally got it indexed correctly.
This time, Barney's procedure worked right off, which was good but odd,
because last time I thought I did exactly the same thing and it wound up a
tooth out. It doesn't run any different, but it's a lot easier to tighten
the nut, pop and fasten the cap, and run the vacuum hose, when the dizzy is
in the correct orientation.

I also tightened up the rear bumper, which seemed to have gotten loose,
probably from repeated blows from park-by-feel nitwits. It really needs to
be pulled out a half-inch or so, but the nuts resisted turning so much that
I thought I'd leave that for another day, when I have time to let them soak
in PB Blaster.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149