mgs

[Mgs] rear axle

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mgs] rear axle
From: Bernd <1971mgb@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 19:39:23 -0400
today I decided to eliminate the "clunk" from the differential on my 71 MGB
wire wheel car. I had ordered the thrust washers and started my disassembly on
the tube axle. So far I drained the oil from the differential, took the back
plate off the differential and have removed the brake drums and hub's Moss
calls them "Hub Extension" , my problem is how in the world do you extract the
ax el shafts?, could I put a nut on the half axle and  give the nut a couple of
whacks or pull on the nut real hard  to slide the axle out? I see Moss has a
Rear Axle puller tool (384-945) available, am I  right in thinking that the
axle shaft  is that simple to pull and there is nothing  holding the half shaft
in place within the differential ? Also do I have to pull the brake back plate?
Thanks in advance.
B.
71 MGB