mgs

Best way to get out of overdrive on a '78 MGB?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Best way to get out of overdrive on a '78 MGB?
From: Desmond Mullen <dkmullen@email.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 09:41:11 -0400
Hello everyone,

I am new to the list and had a question about a newly acquired '78 MGB.

I learned to drive on my Mom's '77 MGB back when it was new. My daily driver
until recently was an old Honda, but it "broke" and wasn't worth repairing.
Fortuitously, I ended up finding a decent '78 MGB on eBay and I'm pleased
with it so far.

The answer is probably in the Driver's Handbook, but I don't have a copy at
present (it's in the mail!)... The question is this:

When I switch into overdrive, it shifts nicely and I get a suitable drop in
RPM. When I switch out of overdrive, it does not always downshift so
smoothly (I seem to remember this on Mom's, as well). Is it better to - or
is it at least okay to - depress the clutch pedal when switching out of
overdrive?

Also, does switching out of overdrive work no matter what the transmission
is doing? In other words if I notice the overdrive switch is on when it
shouldn't be (in neutral, in 1st, etc.), can I just switch it out with no
concern?

I joined the list last week and it seems like a great bunch of folks and a
wealth of info. Thank you in advance!

-Desmond
'78 MGB
--