mgs

Re: Hood / Soft Top Installation Tips Needed

To: "Rob Geskey" <rob_geskey@hotmail.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hood / Soft Top Installation Tips Needed
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:25:06 -0400
Rob,

I tried good old hardware store contact glue - pretty useless.  So I
went to a auto interior shop - They had THE stuff but it is not sold
retail.  So I got the manufacturers address and phoned them  I
explained I was restoring a car and they sympathised and sent me a
sample tin which was huge !!!  Go visit a shop that sticks on vinyl
roofs on cars.  There is  special contact glue for autos......

At 08:08 PM 8/22/2006, Rob Geskey wrote:
>Installing a new top on my 74.5 B and was wondering want kind of
>adhesive all of you DIY people are using out there.  I did try doing
>some research, but came up empty.  Is contact cement a good or wise
>choice?  How hard should I be pulling on the top when gluing it down
>in place?  I would hate to need three elephants to get it up when
>cold but I would really appreciate not having it rattle in the wind
>either.  The old top, which I believe was the original had the fixed
>rear window and seemed pretty smooth.  The new one is a zipper
>type.  It seems no matter how I pull on it, the window has some
>wrinkling to it.  Is this a common issue with zip out back windows?
>Thanks in advance to all of you LBC people out there for your advice and help!
>
>Regards to all,
>
>Rob

Regards
Barrie