mgs

RE: Tyre size and recommendation

To: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>,
Subject: RE: Tyre size and recommendation
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:43:10 -0700
What Eric and company said.

The Rostyle wheel is 5" wide, so you have a number of options.

The 185/70 is probably your best value/handling option and readily
available.

The original 165/82 tire looks very tall and skinny to today's eyes, so
I would only install these on a Rostyle equipped car that is to be
period accurate.

Modern 175/80, 175/70 tires are also good options on the Rostyle.

Grip in the dry is directly related to the tire life, so pick your
balance.  To be brutally honest the MGB suspension negates much of the
benefits of sticky tires as the car will launch itself when hitting
bumps and break traction.  On a smooth road, sticky tires are fine but
for most typical road use a really sticky tire becomes a liability as
the car will stick on a smooth section of curve, then brutally break
free the first time a bump is hit.  The suspension is just not supple
enough to maintain effective tire contact.

For more info on tire sizing, I suggest reading the article I put
together to answer this question.

http://www.britishmotoring.net/bm0402/tire/tire.html

all the best

Kelvin Dodd