mgs

MGTF's in the US (long)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGTF's in the US (long)
From: William Killeffer <wkilleffer@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 07:30:16 -0400
> Repeat after me... "They... will... not... sell... MG TFs... in...
> >the...
> US".
>
> If MG Rover couldn't swing it, TVR certainly isn't...

Why the pessimism? I hate to sound this way, but did you take your fiber
caps or Metamucil this morning? Do you perhaps need something to open up
the passages in your mind as well?

Admittedly, it's a bit of a long shot with the future of the company
looking somewhere between grim and non-existant. But don't let's write
it off just yet.

Several people have lost their jobs in this debacle, and that's
unfortunate. But I can't help wondering if that might not be in the best
interest of the MGTF. I certainly don't mean to offend by that
statement, so please try to hear me out.

It looks as though the "rights" to that car and its design will get
sold. Maybe to someone in Britain who will be able to continue
production there. The reason that car isn't already here is because
Leyland/MG-Rover let the US dealer network fall apart when everything
went south on that side of the pond as well. Present management of MG-R
either didn't want to or couldn't afford to get things back together
over here. My money's on the latter. Also, they would have had to sell
an expanded product line in addition to the MGTF to make it practical.
Admittedly, that does complicate things just a bit, but doesn't make
them impossible with the right leadership.

Now, it looks as though this car will be able to pass US emissions and
safety standards. That should probably be the least of anyone's worries
if they're going to try and bring this car stateside. When it comes to
those issues, where there's a will, there's a way. Even if engine swaps
have to be done.

If the design rights get sold to an interested party, and they can get
the car over here profitably, it will happen. I hope it will. Not only
for the preservation and furthering of MG's legacy, but also for the
possible preservation of thousands of good jobs in Britain. It would
also be great for putting pessimistic nay-sayers like this original
poster in their proper place.

--
William T. Killeffer
wkilleffer@comcast.net