mgs

Re: Parking Brake Adjustment

To: "S Allen" <scottinthestans@hotmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Parking Brake Adjustment
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:30:33 +0100
Section M3 following adjusting the footbrake in section M1 of the Leyland
Workshop Manual, which I believe Bentley is a copy of.  Basically turn the
shoes adjuster until the drum just rubs but doesn't bind, then turn the
adjuster at the handle end of the handbrake cable until 4 or so clicks pull
the brake on.  I usually set mine so that the first click doesn't change the
amount of rub at the shoes, but the 2nd and subsequent ones do.  At each
service I remove the shoes and put a thin smear of grease on every
metal-to-metal contact point of them, the back-plate, and the unequal levers
and cable pivot for the handbrake, and grease the cable using the nipple
(deleted from late cars from the factory but reprovided on more recent
replacement cables).  After adjusting I operate the foot brake and handbrake
a couple of times, then tap the drum with a mallet to reseat the shoes
before checking the rub.  Check the heat of the hubs after a short run to
make sure they are not binding on, if so slacken by one notch and try again.
Cars do differ, my V8 needs one notch slacker than the roadster or they tend
to bind.

PaulH.