mgs

Stubborn Camshaft

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stubborn Camshaft
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:51:06 -0500
Gents,

I'm having a problem pulling the camshaft out of my 79 B.  The head is off,
the tappets and pushrods are out, the distributor and drive spindle are out as
is the oil pump and it's drive shaft.  The camshaft locating plate is off.
When I try to pull the camshaft out, I get a metallic clank and it stops.  I
am getting 25/1000ths of motion before it stops.  What am I missing?

The metallic clank seems to be coming from the area of the back half of the
shaft.  I hate to get heavy handed and try forcing things, but I am at a loss.
Any ideas?

This probably has absolutely nothing to do with the problem, but the tappets
on #1 and #3 exhaust were sticking and had to be tapped through from
underneath.  At first try to remove the cam, I pulled these two tappets up
until they stuck in place at a point where they had no contact with the cam
lobe when the camshaft was turned 360 degrees.  Tapping them out later made no
difference.  Also, the face of these two tappets and those corresponding lobes
on the cam shaft are pitted.  They are the only two defaced and the only two
that didn't come out easily from above.  Thoughts here?

Thanks,

Larry Daniels
79 MGB LE