mgs

Re: Petrol pricing - long -not much MG content

To: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>, jello@ida.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Petrol pricing - long -not much MG content
From: jello@ida.net
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 15:52:29 US/Mountain
The initial version of the prius didn't seem to perform up to the ratings
(mileage wise), but it is highly dependent on how you drive.  The insight
is a little more reliable on hitting the specs, but then they are wider
(70 highway, something like 60 in town), and it is geared right.  The
first version prius, however is rated something like 35 highway, 45 city,
and if you drive aggressively at all, it's more like 35 all the time.

I just talked to my dad yesterday on his new version prius, and he said he
is now getting the rated mileage.  I asked how, and he indicated that he
just started going the speed limit all the time, and that took care of it.

Like I said, these are good cars - but if someone wants to save money by
spending it on a new car, well, the money doesn't work out that well.
Another one to think about is the turbo deisel VW motor that's getting
about 50 mpg.  Sure it's old technology, but it isn't noisy, doesn't smell
too bad, and if you're looking to buy a new fuel efficient vehicle, it is
on par with the new prius.

Phil Bates