mgs

Re: Is this normal when replacing an alternator?

To: <Aeseeyou@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Is this normal when replacing an alternator?
From: "steve devine" <stevedevine@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 01:22:00 -0500
     Albert Escalante

      Yes its normal to have the diode on the 1977 1978. I think it was to
deenergize the coil windings and let the power drain off the alternater.
Sometimes you wil hear stories of different owners cars not shuting off when
they turn the car off and take the key out of the ignition. This was the
cure to keep the
 small amount of feedback out of the tickler wire.

I copied this part of a thread from the mg enthuseast green page archive.

The other problem is a basic design flaw of the ignition circuit on the
later cars. On later cars ??, the ignition switch relay will not turn off
when the ignition is turned off. This is dependent on the variation of the
relay hold in current, and the resistance of the ignition light bulb. Of
course this doesn't matter if the running on valve works. There is a simple
fix for this. Some cars have this fix by the dealer. Possibly by the
factory, but I don't know. To fix this, place a diode (like the ones found
under the glove compartment) in the brown/yellow wire coming from the
alternator. The diode should point to the alternator. The brown/yellow wire
is the wire for the ignition light. This is detailed in the Jan '92 issue of
the Octagon, of the AMGBA.