mgs

Re: Ignition Light

To: William T Snyder <wtsnyder@juno.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ignition Light
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 21:19:51 -0600
I would suspect the alternator. My former 71BGT showed similar symptoms,
assuming a consistent glow, when the diode failed (I replaced the
alternator back then, 20+ years ago). I have also had the light come on
when the brushes were worn but the ignition light tended to flicker when
the brushes wear to the point they needed replaced.

You should be able to remove the alternator and have it tested at an auto
supply parts store.

Or it can  be tested with a multitester easy enough. I've not had to resort
to this - but the output lead (one of the browns, large connector) should
show about 14 volts and 34 amps at 3000-3500 rpms. But just looking at my
Moss catalog, it shows a nice troubleshooting diagram for the alternator.
And if my original theory is correct about the diode, you can use the
instructions to isolate the correct rectifier and replace it.

So my advice would be to get the Moss catalog and your multimeter, follow
the guide, and for a little over $20 for the correct rectifier and maybe an
hour or two of your time, you will have a working alternator and the pride
of knowing that you fixed the problem.

On the second question, I hope you get an answer. Because I have just
rebuilt my 72B, and I have the wires connected  from the reverse switch
on  the tranny, but I'm not sure where they plug into on my new wiring
harness. Although I'll eventually figure it out. Its still down the list a
ways on things I still need to do.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B