mgs

RE: caliper rebuild problem...

To: <mmorris@nemr.net>
Subject: RE: caliper rebuild problem...
From: "Scott & Lynn Hower" <howersl@att.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 10:29:39 -0400
Monte-

BTDT - bent two or three dust seal retaining rings in the process.  This
takes lots of patience.  I seem to remember freezing the retainers and
then gently tapping them with a rubber/nylon hammer.  You need to be
VERY careful starting the retainer.  Despite the manual, I fit the
seals/retainer first, then the piston.  You must use great care when
inserting the piston into bore to ensure it's square.  Lube it with a
bit of fuild and make sure the bore and piston are *absolutely*
spotless.  Tap gently on alternate sides of the retainer until it
'catches', then gently all around the perimiter.  Patience and
perserverence are the trick.

FWIW, I also split the caliper to replace the 30 year old fluid channel
seal.  Twist swears this is required for a proper caliper rebuild.  I
replaced the bolts w/ new grade 8 hardware.  No torque spec is
published, but 45-50 ft lbs w/ a tiny bit of loctite and no problems.

Good luck...

--Scott