mgs

Re: MGA 1600 engine and tranny rebuild

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA 1600 engine and tranny rebuild
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:05:22 -0400
----- Original Message -----
> Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:12:06 -0700
> From: "Howard Battan" <battanhr@comcast.net>
> Subject: MGA 1600 engine and tranny rebuild

> I've got a '57 MGA with a 1600 engine in it that I am rebuilding...

> what should I expect to pay someone to overhaul it, replacing things
> like oil pump, water pump, satellite valves, etc?

I recently rebuilt a (5 main bearing) MGB motor. I paid approx $350
for the machine work to the block, crank (undersize main & rod
journals), resizing the big ends of the rods, and valve job. Add about
another $500 for parts - new pistons, bearings, gaskets, timing chain,
oil pump, camshaft & tappets, etc plus clutch parts. (I did not
replace the water pump.) I re-gasketed the gearbox & replaced the
front oil seal but did not rebuild it.

I do not know what a mechanic would charge to dis-assemble &
re-assemble the motor. That is the fun part for me!

HTH,
Eric