mgs

Where's the best place to get 80-grit and 120-grit for sanding

To: mgs@autox.team.net, autobodyrestoration@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Where's the best place to get 80-grit and 120-grit for sanding
From: Patton Dickson <kpdii@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 18:23:47 -0500
Hey guys,

Over the next two days I am going to strip the body of the MGB down to bare
metal.  After going back and forth several time about what method to use, I
am going to use a DA sander.  There are two reasons for this.  First,
budget, which eliminates media blasting and chemical dipping.   Second is
that I am frankly scared of stripper, and with the layers of paint on the
car, I'll be spending a great deal of sanding anyhow.  I stripped my old
Sprite 17 years ago with furniture paint stripper and an electric sander, I
really want to do this car faster and better than that this time.

I will be using my El-cheap-o Harbor Freight 6 inch sander, pulled my 6HP
El-cheap-o Home Depot air compressor.  I figure that I will be spending a
great amount of time letting the compressor rest and catch up.  I am
planning on using 80 grit on the steel body and 120 grit on the aluminium
bonnet.  I will be wearing goggles and a respirator.  I know to be careful
to watch for heat build up, any other suggestions?

Also, where is the cheapest place to go get the sandpaper.  I am in the
Houston area, but I don't know if I need to go to an autobody supply (AJ
Foyt Autobody Supply is about 10 minutes away), Harbor Freight, or
somewhere else to get a good deal.

The car can't be ready in three weeks for MG2002 in Dallas, but my wife and
I have set a goal for the bodywork to be finished in mid October for the
Houston All British Motor Vehicle Expo.   We'll see if I can make that
deadline!!!

Thanks
Patton

Patton Dickson - Richmond, TX