mgs

Re: zs carb

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: zs carb
From: steveb5815@juno.com
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 08:26:10 -0400
Monte,

The ZS carb, when properly set up works flawlesly for its intende
purpose. It is not a performance carb and the milage is not that of a
modern comper controlled fuel injected car. 22 MPG is quite respectable
if it is combined highway/city.

My 79 w/ ZS gets a bit more that 26 on the highway and it passes
emmissions with flying colors. This is ancient technology a best.
However, there are some areas that need special attention with the ZS.
Make sure all of the vacuum lines are correctly connected. Make sure the
float is in good condition. Make sure the needle and seat are working
properly. Last but not least make sure the choke assembly is properly
adjusted and is not leaking. This is the #1 reason for the ZS to run
rich.

It does not matter if you convert to a manual actuator because the main
choke body remains the same. The Haynes manual has a excellent procedure
to set the choke clearances. One more thing. I called Joe Curto about
getting a new needle and jet for my ZS. He explained that the rarely wear
out and to check and adjust the float. It works great with over one
hundred and six thousand miles!

Hope this helps.
Steve Bettencourt
http://www.bmcne.com