mgs

Re: Removing Smog Controles-An Ethical Question

To: "Bob Howard" <mgbob@juno.com>, <aaronw@wsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Removing Smog Controles-An Ethical Question
From: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:21:45 -0600
I have always felt that smog gear is there to protect the environment from
the fools who never do ANY maintenance on their cars.  That is, the
emissions gear is a firewall against unmaintained cars.  To support this,
when my Ferrari Mondial was rebuilt, I had the technicians put it on
the Texas emissions test gear for analysis (even theough the car was
coming back to Oklahoma where there is no testing).  It passed with
flying colors even though it was a fully Euro-spec car with no emissions
hardware at all.  Sounds like your car also fits the definition -- just as
long
as you don't always drive it at idle. :-)

rick

>   In CT, MGBs with emissions gear fitted struggled for years to pass
> emissions testing, which was performed at an idle.  Four or five years
> ago, the test was changed, to a 35 mph (approx) test in top gear on a set
> of rollers.  Suddenly, amazingly, everybody's MGB passed the new test
> just fine----with or without the emissions gear!
>   So, it can be said that one could, with clear conscience, remove the
> air pump, the air rail,  and other plumbing.  One would like to think
> that the new test more effectively measures pollutants at actual
> operating conditions (else why would the test have been changed and
> expensive new testing equipment installed?) so that the MGB passing the
> new test meets or exceeds the spirit of the law, if not the letter.
>   My MGB has the evaporative fuel system in place, since I imagine that
> by trapping vapors for future use, it may be saving a tablespoon of fuel
> each and every year. That system has no effect on the engine's
> performance.
> Bob

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list