mgs

Alert on radiation damage of U.S. Mail

Subject: Alert on radiation damage of U.S. Mail
From: "Tim L. Creger" <timlc@agr.state.ne.us>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 08:35:13 -0600
I work with a state regulatory agency who works frequently with a number
of other state and federal agencies here in the U.S.

I received an alert this morning from one federal agency that noted they
are starting to receive materials sent to them in the U.S. Mail that are
showing signs of radiation damage from the efforts to sanitize the mail
of anthrax spores.

The damage they are seeing includes certain types of paper changing
color, computer software (floppy disks and CDs) warping and being
erased, and photographs becoming blistered and discolored.

I would imagine within the very near future most materials moving
through major mail handling stations will be irradiated.  I don't know
what this will do to automotive parts, but you might want to consider
the information when mailing photos to friends.

Tim Creger
Lincoln, NE
70 Midget

///