mgs

Newbie (kinda long)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Newbie (kinda long)
From: Robert Marcho <marcho@bible.acu.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 12:06:56 -0600
Listers:

I thought I'd take a minute to introduce myself. I'm new to the list,
having just bought a 1972 MGB for... $250. You can imagine what it looks
like. It is all there, it's just been sitting outside for the past 8 years.

This is my 6th British sports car: I started with a 1958 bug-eye Sprite
which we raced in SCCA H production from 1968 to 1972; next was a
street-driven 1963 Sunbeam Alpine; I also owned a 1964 Triumph Spitfire;
then a 1964 Midget which we raced in SCCA F production from 1974 - 1982;
somewhere in there I owned another Spitfire, a 1969; and my youngest
daughter's first car in 1988 was a 1964 MGB. Oops, I almost forgot the 1972
Triumph TR7 -- which I never really finished -- sometime in the late 80s.

In all, I've owned 87 cars and trucks since age 15. Nope, I've never been a
car dealer, nor have I ever bought a vehicle with the intention of
re-selling it for a profit. My excuse for all these vehicles is that I was
raised by a car-nut Dad in Southern California in the 50s and 60s which
automatically makes you a prime target for the car bug. I started out my
working life as an aerospace designer in So Calif. (later R&D work for
Texas Instruments integrated circuit design), then changed careers to
become a full-time minister in the early 70s, and now teach and advise in
the Graduate School of Theology at Abilene Christian University in Abilene,
TX a private liberal arts university with 85 undergraduate degrees, 34
masters degrees and one doctorate, and an enrollment of about 5000 students.

In my race career I built all my own engines and chassis, made it to the
SCCA Runoffs a couple of times, and never finished lower than 5th place in
any class I raced. I've also done a lot of Solo1 and Solo 2 events when I
wasn't racing on the track, most recently finishing 2nd a couple of years
ago in the Texas Region SCCA F production championship in Solo 2 with my
wife's 1998 6 speed Chevy Z28.

None of the above can be considered bragging, because I'm not really that
good; I just always hung in there when the really fast guys broke or spun
out. You can also credit all of the above cars and racing to a loving,
patient, wife of 34 years who has a great-paying job and shares her fun
money with a car-crazy husband. My wife and I have 4 children and 7
GRANDchildren.

My plans for now (they change frequently), are to build this B for vintage
racing and COMMA up in Oklahoma. COMMA is like the SCCA was when I started
racing in the 1960s -- very laid back and a "run-what-you-brung" mentality.
Rocky probably knows what I mean.

Bob Marcho

Dr. Robert K. Marcho
Graduate School of Theology