mgs

RE: Smog Free

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Smog Free
From: "mghirsch" <mghirsch@netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 13:55:29 -0500
The only emisions device that can cause oil burning is a bad PCV valve which
may cause the crankcase to pressurize if bad.

I'd leave the carbon canistors alone, they do not affect running.  Why the
gulp valve is left, I have no idear.   It doesn't do anything if there is no
air pump.

Without knowing more about the car, here is what I'd do.

First, I'd do a compression check.  Worn or broken rings is the primary cause
of burning oil.  Next, I'd want to know if the valve seals are worn, they're
the second most cause of oil burning.

Maynard Hirsch
78B
67B