mgs

Zenith Problems Revisited

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Zenith Problems Revisited
From: "Greg Bass" <gregbass@atlantadental.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 08:05:41 -0400
        Well, I spent the weekend rebuilding the Zenith on the 78 B. If anyone
remembers, I was having considerable problems with the idle speed, and
engine would shut down and it would not restart for about an hour two.
Anyway the carb rebuild was not all that difficult (thank to "Haynes"). I
also checked the spark at each of the plugs and while number 4 plug was a
bit oily, the spark is strong at each. Cleaned them up, reinstalled, tuned
the newly rebuilt carb and now it runs pretty well. I still need to fine
tune the gas mixture but I've driven it about 75 miles this weekend and the
problems have been cleared up. I also changed the metalic inline fuel filter
to a clear plastic type. I did notice that the filter seemed emply most of
the time. Which brings me to my next question.
        I know that a discussion of fuel pumps is not everyones favorite
subject,
but I missed the last one ( I heard it was kind of intense). Anyway... I
have the stock pump still on, and I was wondering what other's thoughts on
an aftermarket pump are. I am looking for reliability mostly but a little
performance boost wouldn't hurt either. Next project is replacing the fuel
lines under the car and just thought about replacing the pump at the same
time.
Any advice?

Greg Bass