mgs

Re: Gasoline Question

To: Eric Schulte <schulte@odpemail.tamu.edu>
Subject: Re: Gasoline Question
From: "M. Frankford" <martin@virtual-motors.com>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 11:02:33 -0500
They haven't sold leaded gasoline here in Alabama for over 15 years. I have
never used an additive in my Rileys, MGA, or MGBs and have never had a problem.
I talked to a NASCAR engine builder about the problem. He said it wasnt a
problem unless you run the car under heavy load. He said he sees valve seat
problems in
marine engines because they run under high load for long periods of time. He
hasnt seen problems in the typical muscle cars as they run on a minute amount
of their horsepower at highway speed,  However,  my LBCs do use premium to
prevent pinging because of compression.

Eric Schulte wrote:

> Hey Shop-Talkers,
>
> I've been using lead additives in my Regular gasoline that I burn in my older
>cars (1934-1955), with the understanding that the modern unleaded gas does not
>have the ability to protect the older valves from damage. Recently a friend
>told me that this is unnecessary to do if you run premium gasolines. Is this
>true?
>
> Skeptical, but ready to listen,
> Retro-Rick
>
> 1934 Buick