mgs

Battery, electrical help!

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Battery, electrical help!
From: "carter's alltel" <goutvols@alltel.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 13:26:41 -0500
Clear DayI need help.  To make a long story short, I have a  79 midget.  Over
the last 3 months I've stripped it down to bare metal to have it painted and
to re do the interior.  The paint is done, The carpet is complete.  I've
re-installed the dash but I'm still working out some bugs with the turn
signals.  In the mean time, I decided to have the wheels powder coated.  Now
to the problem:  While the wheels were at the shop I forgot to undue the
battery cable.  I've done this since I've started this project just so my
battery wouldn't be drained.  The car has set in the garage for the last two
weeks.  Today I put the wheels on and decide I'll take it for a spin around
the block.  Wrong!  It won't turn over.  I then look and see that the battery
is hooked up.  I think to myself well something has drained the battery while
it set there.  No biggy.  Push it out of the garage  And hook the jumper
cables up to the Land Rover.  This is where I get into trouble.  After turning
over the rover I look up and smoke is coming out of the midget.  I ran for the
rover, shut it off.  Went back to the midget.  The smoke was coming from the
alternator, and the wires going to the alternator were very warm.  What have I
done?  by the way my battery is 1 year old.  Did I burn up the alternator?
For someone who knows nothing about cars I'm lost.  How do I test the battery?
Can I test the alternator?  I also tried to push start it, but on level ground
I couldn't get it going very fast.  No luck.  I also have to wonder could it
be my ignition?  No, I guess since the lights or nothing will come on it has
to start with the battery doesn't it?  I'm begging for help.. Thanks for
everything..

Carter Tuggle
79' mg midget
96' Land Rover