mgs

Re: 4.55 differential ratio

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 4.55 differential ratio
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 11:12:51 EDT
In a message dated 22/04/01 5:20:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> My notes tell me the 4.55 diff (9/41) was a MG Magnette and MG Special
> tuning ratio.  Were
> there other marques that used this ratio in the banjo style axle?

This ratio was used throughout the BMC sedan range on various models
including Austin, Morris and Wolseley, none of which are too likely to be
thick on the ground where you are.

They also had (and I have used for racing) a 4.88 and a 5.12 - the latter,
out of a Morris postal van, makes a killer hillclimb or slalom ratio, as you
never have to get back into first gear.

A very nice combination for an MGB for racing is the 4.55 or 4.88 with an OD,
but you have to use the OD properly, or you'll fry it!

Bill S.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list