mgs

Re: New MGA and some dipstick advice...

To: "SCC" <campbe6274@earthlink.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New MGA and some dipstick advice...
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 18:14:07 -0500
At 11:33 AM 4/5/2001 -0700, SCC (Scott) wrote:
>I just took delivery of my '62 MGA MKII roadster.  Pictures at
>http://homepage.interaccess.com/~campbell/MGA.htm ....

Whoohoo!  What a find.  More on that later.

>When I check the oil, it reads WAY over the 'max' mark.

Absolutely not a good thing.

>But the dipstick also falls all the way down into the oil pan and clunks
on the bottom, and I need to push the rubber seal on the dip stick hole
down over the shaft to make it seal.

Absolutely normal.  It should bottom out on in the oil pan, and you should
push the seal down on top of the tube.

>.... So is it normal for the dip stick to sit all the way down in the pan
on the 1622 engine?

Yup.  It makes a nice "tink" when you push it all the way down, so you know
it has stopped in the correct position.  If you push the rubber seal down a
little extra before inserting the stick, then push the stick all the way
down, the seal will then be correctly positioned firmly on top the tube to
affect a good seal there.

Some MGA have been know to have an incorrect dipstick, causing the oil
level to be wrong (more commonly too high).  As this problem has come up a
few times, I have the difinitive answer posted on line here:
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/engine/ds100.htm

In short, the MIN mark is 1-11/16 inchs from the bottom end of the stick.
The MAX mark is 2-1/16 inches from the bottom of the stick.  If your marks
are within 1/16" of these dimensions you're in like Flynn.  Otherwise you
need to acquire the correct dipstick before incorrect oil level does some
damage to your engine.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg