mgs

Re: Okay, so no one watched the race...

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Subject: Re: Okay, so no one watched the race...
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 08:49:04 -0600
"Kai M. Radicke" wrote:

> ...snip
> Personally, I agree with how FIA goes about attempting to slow the cars down
> by taking away some of their advantages.  Grooved tyres are a pretty nifty
> idea, and the fact each tyre gained an extra groove this year was clearly
> mitigated by the fact the cars were still 3 seconds a lap quicker than last
> years Aus GP qualifying times!

   Exactly.  What would have been the influence of the new tire
compounds if they were on slicks!  10 seconds a lap?!

> I also would have to say that having FIA double the side impact load
> specifications for the 2001 F1 season probably saved J.Villeneuve's life the

   True.

> I think it is time we see a change in engine format.  Lets drop the V10 and
> go for lets say inline 5s with a displacement of 2L,

   ...and no turbo!  The last time we saw 2L engines in F1 they made
over 1000bhp -- but that was with the help of a little (read: a lot) of
boost!

> I'm not for traction control, only because I think this is something that
> should be governed by driver skill.  HOWEVER, if it is nearly impossible to
> restrict teams from using any time of traction control a standard must be
> set for the legal use of traction control to at least give an even
> opportunity to each team.

   Absolutely.  All of the teams, well, except perhaps for Minardi,
were experimenting with traction control of some kind and just
under (read: in violation of) the FIA rules.  Some were using
differential engine braking, some used TWO brake pedals so the
driver could dynamically adjust brake balance left-to-right, some
even had plans to integrate traction control into the computer
controlled power steering!  No innovation, my foot!

> Rule changes and regulations are good.

   I used to refute this claim until I got so deeply into F1 strategy and
technology.  Left unchecked, there would be only two teams and
9 pairs of four-wheeled-road-cones.

> Kai

Rick