mgs

V8 Problem solved.

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: V8 Problem solved.
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:06:16 -0000
Hi all,

Many thanks to those who gave me help with the stumbling, misfiring factory
V8. I finally solved the problem last night. I should have checked this first
really..

Spark plugs.....! The car has a Lucas Sports coil fitted. The plugs were NGK
BP5HS. Now, I would have thought 5's were way too cold for a low compression
motor such as the MG V8 which I think is arounf 8.3:1. Also, they were gapped
at over +040"!!! Certain (IMO) to cause the misfire I was experiencing, I am
not one for over gapping the plugs more than a few thou. Looking at the plugs
and the state of them and the electrodes I wouldn't have been surprised if
they were well over 10yrs old. Geez I can't believe people don't do basic
maintenance on something as special as this. Hmm!!

Anyway she lasted a 1 1/2hr drive though total traffic chaos today so I'm
chuffed and beaming ear to ear!!

Thought I'd tell the list in case anyone else has the same type of symptons!

Cheers,
Neil