mgs

Re: 72 MGB front end questions

To: "Dan Hackney" <danhackney@nc.rr.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 72 MGB front end questions
From: "David Hill" <Davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:12:37 -0000
Hi, Dan.

> I am rebuilding the front suspension and related bits on my 72, and
> currently have a few questions before I proceed:
> Do the front a-arm bushings require grease upon reassembly?

Assuming rubber bushes, no. A little copper grease would be good on the
bolts, to stop seizing, esp. on the sleeved V8 type bushes. You may need a
little liquid soap to help the bushes slide in.

 All bushings?

Those at the top the kingpins can be given the same treatment. The big bolts
at the bottom of the kingpin-inside the lower pivot spacers- should be well
coated with copper grease. All the other moving parts are greased in service
anyway. I use copper grease on all the other fastenings anyway.

> I can't seem to remove the steering rack.  When I removed the
cross-member,
> i just tied it out of the way, but now I think I want to remove it because
> found a ripped rack boot that has been open for who knows how long.
Haynes
> says to remove the bolt on the U-joint, which I did, but I cant seem to
get
> the shaft out of there.  Any suggestions would be appreciated because I am
> beginner.

If you have the bolt out of the lower (forwardmost) part of the UJ, the
splined shaft should come out. You may have to gently spread the 'socket' by
carefully tapping a screwdriver or chisle blade into the slot-even then, you
may have to tap the rack housing (near where the shaft enters-*careful*) to
encourage the assembly forwards out of the UJ.

Just remember-you're dealing with an alloy part so take it easy!

Good Luck,

Dave H.

Can I Telework for you? See what I do, at...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz4/davtel/index.html
Troubled by a phobia? Know someone who has one? Go to...
http://www.psychomotor.co.uk