mgs

Re: First Time Buyer

To: porsche.com@home.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: First Time Buyer
From: Tomsaudi@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 01:33:07 EST
Steve-

For $5,250, it looks like you are looking at a very decent example of an MGB.
First, a minor correction; I think the color you are describing is Brooklands
Green. If, for whatever reason, you find you are just not passionate about
the car to keep it, and living in So Cal, I don't think you will have much
trouble getting what you paid for it. Here in Connecticut, I've looked at
similar year MGB's for $4,500-$5,000 that needed well over $1,000 worth of
work to make the car right.

As you are about to hear many times though, fresh paint can hide a lot of
rust demons. However, if the car is native to your area, that shouldn't be a
concern. Just to be sure, next time you look at the car, bring a magnet and
run it along the wheelbase of the car, lift up the carpets, etc.

Also, is there a reason you like this car in particular? For about the same
money, I think you could get yourself a very decent chrome bumpered MGB,
which is much more desirable. On the flip side, some prefer the more refined
interior of the RB MGB's, so it's basically a matter of personal opinion.
Have you considered seeking out local MG clubs to see what they may have for
sale? These people would be much more intimately involved than any dealer
would.

Whatever the case, I wish you luck. Let us know how it works out for you.

Tom
78 MG Midget