mgs

Re: Early overdrive questions

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Early overdrive questions
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:33:27 -0800
Trevor Boicey had this to say:

>Max Heim wrote:
>> Wow, that makes it sound complicated. I put a late OD in my 66 B and all
>> I did was run two wires -- one from the fuse box to the dash switch, and
>> from there to the lockout switch (on the tranny), and one from the other
>> side of the lockout switch to the OD solenoid. I frankly had no idea
>> there was a relay...
>
>  The later cars use smaller solenoids that don't need
>relays. The thought was though that the older style solenoids
>pulled too much current to run without a relay.

Well, I have a late solenoid OD (77, I think), so that explains it. I
guess I looked at the wiring diagram for the late model when I hooked it
up, which makes sense, but explains why I didn't know about the relay.

>  It's not a safety issue though, so if it works, it works. What
>you might find though is too much voltage drop through the thin
>wire and switch contacts to engage the solenoid. Evidently, this
>isn't happening. ;>

Not with mine (see above), but this is potentially an issue for the
original questioner...

>> and a vacuum switch involved. I am not quite sure why
>> there is an issue with the OD engaging with the throttle closed (which it
>> seems to be the purpose of the vacuum switch to prevent).
>
>  I think it's more the opposite, to stop the OD from
>disengaging when the throttle is closed.

Oh, right, that makes more sense. As someone noted, Bentley's is less
than clear on this point.

>  As you probably found out, this can be kind of violent. I
>have overdrive in my 75 Midget, and I don't use it in third
>gear mostly for this reason. It's smooth to engage, but
>if the revs are anything less than 3000rpm the disengaging
>gives the car a good "snap" and sometimes makes a tire
>squeal. (no problem in fourth though)

Actually, I have never really noticed this effect. Probably because the
very late OD I have doesn't function in 3rd, only 4th. This is probably
another reason why they felt they could dispense with the vacuum switch,
now that I think of it...

>  The above happens a bit actually, let's say you
>go first, second, third, then overdrive third and
>coast along. Then you coast into a stop light or
>something, and flip out overdrive when revs are
>low and foot off. Squawk!
>
>  With the vacuum switch, the car won't actually
>come out of overdrive in these situations. It'll
>only allow you to downshift when you are on the
>throttle, like going from OD 4 to just plain 4 to
>pass somebody on the highway.

A few people have posted comments about their cars not wanting to come
out of OD, or having a slight delay. Maybe this is what they were
experiencing. Interesting.

>  I don't think it's essentual though, it was dropped
>of course...

Ah, but with the early OD, used in 3rd, it may very well be something to
think about.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149