mgs

high speed miss

To: "MG listerati" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: high speed miss
From: "Lonn and Rhonda" <hoops@owt.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 08:32:18 -0700
Our 70 BGT has suddenly developed a problem.  At low speeds, even under
heavy acceleration, it runs fine.  But try to accelerate beyond about 3000
rpm and it starts missing and tops out at about 4000 rpm under load.  I've
checked the plugs, they look normal, the points had collapsed to about 10
thou so I opened them back up, and the cap and wires are 3200 miles old.
Fuel pump runs like crazy if you unhook a line to the carb.  This is a fresh
rebuild with 3200 miles that has been running perfectly until yesterday.

Not the coil, I replaced it with the good one from my TR6.  Condenser maybe?

I hate to go replacing things at random.  Anybody been there, done that?

Thanks,
Lonn Howard
Pasco, WA USA
'67 Land Rover 109
'70 TR6
'71 TR6
'70 MG BGT
'89 Saab turbo 'vert
'91 big Chevy truck

"We are just temporary custodians with an obligation of preservation."