mgs

RE: Palo Alto British Meet

To: "'Max Heim'" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: RE: Palo Alto British Meet
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 15:17:43 -0700

> No offense meant, of course... I was actually impressed by
> the driver's
> fortitude at the time, not having given up and called AAA...

        Hey!  That was my daily driver you are talking about.

> Are you going to make it to Palo Alto this year?

        I will be there, but I'm not sure what I may be driving.  The only
British car that I had running was my 65 vintage race MGB.  I swapped in a
3.90 rear end and drove it up to the Mog West event in Cambria a few weeks
back.  My local club had a show in Ventura on the Sunday, so I did an early
morning blast down the coast to be at that event.  Unfortunately the head
gasket had gotten loose and I was losing water into the oil.  It turns out
that the head had been milled so much by a prev. owner that the water ports
had elongated and the gasket o rings failed.  I pulled the head and checked
the tappets last week.  Most of the Isky tappets were damaged, so I pulled
the engine last night.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the crank is not
damaged.  Hopefully I can change out any damaged components and get the
motor back together.  If not, I may have to throw together another motor.
Given the weird and wonderful bits, and my lack of time it's unlikely that
the car will be back together in time.
        I don't want to rush, as this motor has to last through next season
of vintage racing.

Kelvin.